Saturday 31 August 2013

Baby Nutrition Made Easy (0 - 24 months)

Nutrition and Where Does It All Change????
 
 
We all have that moment when the health visitor asks us what we are feeding our little ones and how much and how often and how much milk they have and what do they drink and the look of judgement that creeps across their face and you go woops, am I doing something wrong? Then if you're like me you get in such a flap worrying about if you aren't doing the right thing you forget to ask while you are there.
So! I thought I would put together a little guide for everyone (especially me) on the nutritional needs of your baby by doing a bit of research here, a bit there and talking to the health visitors. Please only take this as a rough guide and not the ten commandments because as we all know parenting just does not have a rule book to follow, just a general idea we can work with to fit our own circumstances.
Trust me, I went through some of the information I have found and gone "Oh Dear" but hey, no one is perfect, especially me it would seem, although me ego would contradict.
I will do a bibliography at the bottom so you can read and interpret the information for your own needs, obviously I can't tag the health visitor, but ask your own, they are more than happy to advise and support you.
Try looking at the little pie chart below, I think it puts it in the basic of basic terms so you get the proportions right even if the 'measurements' that follow don't fit you and your baby.

 
 
 
Milk, The White Stuff
 
I feel as if I'm going to write what you already know here, but you never know, could help! And don't forget if your child is 1 year or over and not breastfeeding formula is non essential as they can drink whole cow's milk and they can get the recommended 16 - 24 floz of milk from other dairy sources such as cheese, custard and rice pudding (or so my health visitor tells me, in fact she said as long as he gets 500ml of milk, cheese, custard or rice pudding he will be fine but advice on a number of websites suggest otherwise, I'm sure every child's circumstance is different so just double check this one because I am convinced 16 - 24 floz is a hell of a lot!!!).
 
How much milk does that baby need a day on average then? According to www.babyzone.com , it is as follows:
 
  • 0-4months 21 - 24 floz in roughly 6 - 12 feeds
  • 4-6months 24 - 32 floz in roughly 4 - 6 feeds
  • 6-8 months 24 - 32 floz in roughly 4 - 5 feeds
  • 8-10 months 24 - 32 floz in roughly 3 - 4 feeds
  • 10-12 months 20 - 32 floz in roughly 3 - 4 feeds
 
As I say, I read some of this information and thought "whattttt?!?!?!?!?". My son definitely did not follow this recommended amount of milk and has been having two bottles a day (approx. 16flox) since he was ten months old but because I make sure he eats plenty of cheese and custard it must have made up the rest. Remember, every baby is different, and there is not an average baby. 
 
An 8 week old Tyler who was having 4oz every feed and feeding every 3 hours. That's a whopping 32oz at only 2 and a bit months!
 

More Information on Cow's Milk
 
Let me break this down so it is not half as confusing as the NHS website has made it seem!
  • Use whole (blue) cow's milk
  • Only use full fat cheese and yogurt (but if your little one wants to try the fat free yogurt you are eating, what is the harm in one spoonful?)
  • Do not give any cow's milk before 10 months
  • Between 10 & 12 months only give 1 serving a day (1 serving is half a cup of milk or 3/4 of an ounce of cheese)
  • Between 12 & 24 months it is recommended that your little munchkin has 2 -3 servings a day (one serving can now include half a yogurt, little fromaige frais are the perfect size for this)
 
Much easier to understand now. See this was a section I was struggling with and now I know that I'm doing something right.... party for me right now. The other half thinks I'm a right nutter smiling away to myself!
 
 
Mr Messy's first ever yogurt... I started him young... naughty mummy (told you no one is perfect).
 

 
Cereals
 
Cereals and other types of grains such as wheat are a great source of carbohydrates for keeping your baby or toddler's energy levels up. But remember before 1 year of age, avoid wholemeal foods as they will rest too heavy on that little belly and take far too long to digest.
 
Other key vitamins provided in this category:
  • vitamin B complex
  • zinc
  • magnesium
  • fibre
 
So, how much does that mess maker need?
  • 0 - 4 months none
  • 4 - 6 months you can offer fortified baby cereals such as baby rice or porridge but it is recommended that babies only need milk up until the age of 6 months old.
  • 6 - 8 months offer your baby approximately 4 tbsp. of iron fortified cereals, iron is key at this development stage.
  • 8 - 10 months your baby will be needed more carbohydrates due to more activity, so offering cereals, pasta, finger foods and teething biscuits is a great way to include the extra energy they need. 4 tbsp. + is recommended at this stage.
  • 10 - 12 months 4 tbsp. or more (especially in my son's case, the more bit was definitely appropriate!) Try introducing crackers too, as well as anything mentioned in the previous stages.
  • 12 - 24 months 6 servings or more of cereals and grains is recommended at this stage due to the amount of activity that not - so little one will be doing. 1 serving is classed as half a slice of bread, a quarter of a cup of dry cereal, 1/2 a bagel or muffin (breakfast muffin) or a 1/3 of a cup of cooked rice or pasta.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
 
ps. stay tuned cause next week I have some ideas for bagels.
 
 
Little Tyler needed lots of energy for his walker.
 

 
Vegetables
 
 
I hated vegetables as a child and I only really got interested in them when I got pregnant and after my research, I wish I had started eating them younger, I might not have ended up at 5'2"!!! The key I have found with Tyler is to use them in different ways so he doesn't get bored, and as he gets older I plan to get him to cook with me and prepare the vegetables so he is more interested. I have no idea if that theory works yet, so bare with me!
 
Vegetables provide the following things that our children really need right now:
  • fibre, to keep them mess making.
  • trace minerals
  • vitamin A
  • vitamin B
  • vitamin C
  • and certain types of protein
 
SO, how many vegetables does that little one need?
  • 0 - 6 months none, your baby is getting all the vitamins they need from their milk.
  • 6 - 8 months start off by offering 1 tbsp. of vegetables a meal and eventually increase to 4 - 5 tbsp.
  • 8 - 10 months 4 tbsp. or more! And keep it a variety of colours different to keep the munchkin interested.
  • 10 - 12 months offer 4 - 8 tbsp. preferably nearer the 8 tbsp. mark.
  • 12 - 24 months these tikes need around 3 servings of veg a day! One serving is classed between a quarter and a half of a cup of cooked OR raw veggies.
Try these veggies raw:
  • carrots
  • celery
Roast parsnips have always been a favourite for Ty Ty!
 
 
Fruit
 
 
Fruits are absolutely jam-packed with nutrients and are a key part of anybody's diet, not just your child's. Eating fruit is also key to overall good health as they also have tons and tons of antioxidants.
 

So how much fruit does your baby need everyday?

  • 0 - 6 months none what so ever
  • 6 - 8 months start with small amounts such as 1tbsp a day and work up to 4 or 5 tbsp. a day
  • 8 - 10 months 4 plus tbsp. a day Your little one may still need softened fruit at this stage. To soften fruit boil it such as apples, pear etc.
  • 10 - 12 months 8 - 10 tbsp. of any fruit. Try different types of fruit at this stage, like introducing citrus fruits such as oranges and clementine.
  • 12 - 24 months 2 - 4 servings a day is recommended. One serving is classed as 4oz of 100% fruit juice, half a cup of fresh fruit or a quarter of a cup of canned fruit.

I started off with banana for Tyler then moved to pineapple then pears then apples then raisins. It's about working as your child develops. No one can rush your child's development so go with the flow at their pace. You will get there soon enough.

 
Tyler eating blueberries and puffits at the soft play centre.
 
 
Meat OR Protein (if bringing up vegetarian)
 
 
Protein is very important in your child's diet as it's main function is to enable muscle to grow and repair themselves. And we all want big, strong children. Protein also provides these very valuable nutrients:
  • iron
  • vitamin B
  • zinc
 
So they need how much, exactly?
 
  • 0 - 8 months none
  • 8 - 10 months 1 tbsp. you could try pureeing minced meat and allowing it to stick to easier to eat foods such as pasta and potatoes. If you are dead set on baby led weaning try hard boiled eggs or cubes of cheese as cheese also provides protein as well as calcium and other vitamins associated with dairy products
  • 10 - 12 months 2 - 4 tbsp. is recommended, try offering more solid meats now such as chunks of chicken breast, great with pasta.
  • 12 - 24 months 2 -3 servings a day is recommended. One serving can be classed as 2 tbsp. of cooked meat, fish or poultry, 1 egg or a quarter of a cup of beans.
 
These are my top foods that are high in protein:
 
  1. chicken
  2. fish
  3. turkey
  4. beef
  5. lamb
  6. pork
  7. egg
  8. baked beans
  9. tofu
  10. quorn
  11. broad beans
 

    Ty's all day breakfast and he got the protein from the egg and sausage.
     
     
Water
 
 This is always a tricky subject as they don't recommend giving babies aged between 0 - 4 months any water at all, but my son had really bad constipation in his early months and doctors AND the health visitors recommended me giving it him a couple of sips at a time. I suppose it is another one that varies on individual circumstances.
 After 4 months they recommend your baby need 4oz or more of water a day up until 24 months when it all changes again. I am sure I will cover this nearer the time, well as my son approaches 2 years old, he has always been advanced in his diet, probably my fault but at least he's happy and healthy.
 

 
 
The first time Tyler ever used his cup!
 
 
Useful Websites
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment